Mountain Goat Coaching is run by me, Dan Small. I provide tailor-made performance coaching and training for cyclists and triathletes with a philosophy of focussing on each individual’s needs and helping all clients to develop using the training methods most appropriate to them.
I have been coaching for 18 years (I started when I was 16), initially in Athletics and then in Cycling. After studying for a degree in Sport and Exercise Science I spent 8 years working in the Coaching Education and Development department at British Cycling, and went on to set up Mountain Goat Coaching in 2014.
I have worked with a huge variety of people from novice all the way up international level and everyone in between. I’m currently working with people aged 14 to 60 years, across a wide variety of cycling disciplines and ability levels.
I work hard to continually develop my knowledge and coaching skills and love the variety of different challenges that my clients present me with, I literally keep learning every day!
I am a member of the DNAfit Education Institute, and by combining scientific knowledge, practical experience and the latest genetic research I have been able to develop genetic led training methods to help real people work towards fulfilling their own potential. No matter how big or small their goals are.
But that’s enough about me, I’d love to hear about you! So please get in touch. Unfortunately, I can only work with a limited number of people on a 1-2-1 basis, so I do offer other options for people to access support, through pre-written training programmes and group training options. If I don’t have the capacity to help you on a 1-2-1 basis I will do everything I can to offer you some level of support.
Summary of Qualifications and Experience
- BSc(Hons) Sport and Exercise Science
- Fully Licenced DNAfit Trainer and Member of the DNAfit Education Institute
- Sports Coach UK Coach Educator
- British Cycling Level 3 Coach
- Over 15 years of applied sport science and coaching experience
- Extensive work with athletes in Road Cycling, Track Cycling, Athletics, Swimming, Modern Pentathlon, XC Mountain Bike, Downhill Mountain Bike, Gravity Enduro and Cyclo-Cross.
- Coached and trained athletes from novice to National and International Podium level and everyone in between
- Team management of Regional Squads for national events
- Team management of Team Mountain Goat Coaching
- 8 Years full time work for British Cycling in Coaching Education and Development